Going back to school can be a big challenge during these unsure times. Here are some tips on how to be successful.
A group of young children getting on the schoolbus[/caption]Once you begin the Feingold Diet, request a conference with your child’s teacher. You should also explain briefly what the diet eliminates and how important it is to follow the diet correctly. If you are able to help out in the classroom, offer to do the shopping when foods are being used.
A group of young children getting on the schoolbus[/caption]If the area where your child waits to go home is exposed to school bus fumes, ask the school to prevent the buses from idling with their motors running, or to have the children A group of young children getting on the schoolbus[/caption]wait elsewhere. If this cannot be done, arrange a way to arrive early to pick up your child at dismissal to prevent exposure to these fumes. They are toxic to everyone and can interfere with your child’s ability to accomplish anything at homework time. If you carpool, make sure no members of your carpool use perfume or have those hanging fragrance air fresheners in their car.
Below are suggestions from Feingold moms:
- Keep a treat box in classroom and ice cream in school freezer. Good communication is important. When there are special treats offered, you can offer healthy substitutes.
- Purchase the expensive candy for your child to have in the classroom so that when he gets those candies he feels really special.
- Use Gloves in a Bottle for art projects.
- Cupcakes can be kept frozen at school and thawed out for parties.
- Mark your child’s packages so they are not eaten by others.